
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning." And as He spoke He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot even write them. And for us this is the end of all stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has ever read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.
-The Last Battle, C.S. Lewis
Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood: and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago: and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.
-Alice in Wonderland, Louis Carol

So call the field to rest, and let's away
To part the glories of this happy day.
-Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant;
And my ending is despair
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardoned be,
Let your indulgence set me free.
-The Tempest, William Shakespeare
Phileas Fogg had won his wager, and had made his journey around the world in eighty days. To do this he had employed every means of conveyance--steamers, railways, carriages, yachts, trading-vessels, sledges, elephants. The eccentric gentleman had throughout displayed all his marvellous qualities of coolness and exactitude. But what then? What had he really gained by all this trouble? What had he brought back from this long and weary journey?
Nothing, say you? Perhaps so; nothing but a charming woman, who, strange as it may appear, made him the happiest of men!
Truly, would you not for less than that make the tour around the world?
-Around the World in 80 Days, Jules Verne
But, in spite of these deficiencies, the wishes, the hopes, the confidence, the predictions of the small band of true friends who witnessed the ceremony, were fully answered in the perfect happiness of the union.
-Emma, Jane Austen
But wherever they go, and whatever happens to them on the way, in that enchanted place on the top of the Forest, a little boy and his Bear will always be playing.
-The House at Pooh Corner, A.A. Milne
Now, what are your favorite books? What are your favorite last lines of books? Or movies?
*EDIT* I have one more that I just remembered. It's absolutely in the top 3 list of my favorite endings probably because of the amazing story that precedes it...
Jamie saved my life. She taught me everything. About life, hope and the long journey ahead. I'll always miss her, but her love is like the wind. I can't see it but I can feel it.
-A Walk to Remember, 2002 film (Book by Nicholas Sparks)
By the way... I recommend this book to everyone. It's amazing... really... it made me cry... and that's not easy for authors to do. :)





6 comments:
Ohhh I LOVE The Last BAttle <3 actually I love all the Narnia books :)
Aww...I love the Emma one. :) And the Winnie the Pooh one makes me smile. :)
I think my favorite book ending would be from Ted Dekker's book, "White". It's super sad, but it's really really good. :)
Oh my gosh the Ted Dekker book almost made me cry. It is so good.
Even though I am biased on the fact that I am huge on quoting things I think this is one of the best posts EVER! Although I must confess, I don't think I have read any of those works aside from The Tempest...sad, I know. The Walk to Remember was an excellent addition, that is one of my favorite movies of all time. I guess I should read the book too......
Haha! yeah, you guys do have a thing for quoting things. :) And yes, you should read A Walk to Remember, I think everyone should. It's that good.
The Last Battle isn't my favorite Narnia book, but the ending of the book is just phenomenal...it's all I remember, really.
Oh, and Emma is wonderful too :)
Post a Comment